返回列表 回复 发帖
本帖最后由 bing 于 2010-4-26 02:46 编辑

(11)朱安领奖
本帖最后由 bing 于 2010-5-14 03:21 编辑

(12)判卷人之一陈达遵先生讲话

[attach]3972[/attach]

Under-Secretary-General Shaaban,
Mr. Ten-Pow and dear colleagues,

It is a great honor for me to have served as a judge for the Chinese part of the 2009 St. Jerome Translation Contest. This annual contest was established long after I had retired and was initially meant only for the English language staff of the Organization. When I learned about it for the first time two years ago, I said to myself: “Gee, I wish there were something like that for the Chinese language staff as well.” How quickly my wish has been answered! In my opinion, such a contest is a good way to remind ourselves that our job is not just about meeting the productivity goals; rather, our work has a higher purpose and we are committed to constantly striving for excellence as translators.  
For those of us who have been dealing in our daily work with all sorts of problems, global, regional and national, one as depressing as another, this short article with its light humor and tongue-in-cheek account of a birthday party comes like a whiff of fresh air that lifts our spirit and piques our innate desire to render it into our native tongues. The language of this delightful piece is simple and straight-forward, but not without some nuances and subtleties. Despite some minor inaccuracies, the majority of our 15 contestants have gone through the parts that deal with the cooking processes without much difficulty.  It is in the other parts that I have found more serious inaccuracies and outright mistakes, some individual and others shared.  
First of all, many of the contestants have tripped over the key word “unyieldingly” and have failed to see its link to “a last supper”, the “box of Kleenex” and the cocktail called “The 49er”.  This is perhaps due to a cultural difference. In the Chinese world, a baby is considered one year old at birth. Seniority means superiority in social position and old age commands absolute respect.  When asked how old they are, Chinese people tend to add a year or two to their actual ages. They celebrate particularly what are called “big birthdays”, that is, their 50th, 60th, 70th and 80th birthdays, etc. All these are important landmarks of one’s life and certainly no occasions for getting sentimental or teary-eyed. This might explain why many of our translators have mistaken “unyieldingly” for “unyielding” and have gone on to describe the 49-year-old Judy as “strong-willed”, “tough-minded” or “undeterred by age”.  One contestant even ventures to point out that the Kleenex tissues are to be used to wipe the mouths after eating the ice cream.
With regard to the cocktail, one translator ignores the intended pun, gives the full name of the cocktail as “The 49er Gold Rush” and adds a translator’s note that the drink is a mixture of tequila and something else.   
The author is vague (perhaps intentionally so) about his relationship to the birthday girl, but one of our contestants clearly refers to Judy as the author’s wife and another contestant makes her the author’s mother-in-law.   While I cannot rule out either possibility, there is nothing in the original article to support that.  Certainly, an honest translator should never read into the text something that is based entirely on surmise.
Hence, the winners we have chosen are who those who have best preserved the humorous touch of the original and are most free from the afore-mentioned mistakes. Thank you!
本帖最后由 bing 于 2011-1-14 21:20 编辑

今年又开始了。文章在这里:

DGACM announces sixth annual St. Jerome Translation Contest

The starry universe

Like a great ring of pure and endless light, the Milky Way girdles the heavens from pole to pole. Throughout the ages its pearly luminescence and intimations of fathomless distance have provoked the awe and imagination of man. It was not until recent times, however, that the Milky Way came to be recognized for what it is: a mighty river of suns, star fields, clusters and clouds composing the visible part of the galaxy in which our solar system moves.

The universe appears to be expanding about us in all directions. When an astronomer looks outward in space he looks backward in time. The dim, distant galaxies whose antique light swims to our vision through two billion years of terrestrial time do not actually exist where we see them now. The light by which we discern their images started its immense journey when life on earth was barely stirring in the primordial seas. While it has come to us, they have traveled another one and one third billion light years farther away. It is thus that in any conception of the universe space and time become inseparable and cosmologists speak of a space-time continuum. In this sense the universe is four-dimensional, and the fourth dimension is time.

The whole phantasmagoria of the outrushing galaxies and expanding space assails the imagination. With the development of relativity and the swift advance of atomic science it has become clear that mass and energy are the same thing. And similarly space and time grow indistinguishable in the vast, veiled depths of the outer cosmos. Confined in the prison house of his senses, man can only grope through the twilight that dims both of his ultimate horizons - on the one hand the inscrutable universe of the elementary particles, on the other the illimitable universe of space and time.
The winners of the 2010 St. Jerome translation contest will be announced at an award ceremony to be held at Headquarters on THURSDAY, 23 JUNE 2011 from 1.15 to 2.30 p.m. in CR7 NLB.
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 To Announcements   

Save the date: St. Jerome translation contest award ceremony

The winners of the 2010 St. Jerome translation contest will be announced at an award ceremony to be held at Headquarters in New York on Thursday, 23 June 2011 from 1.15 to 2.30 p.m. in Conference Room 7, North Lawn Building. The prizes will be presented by Mr. Shaaban M. Shaaban, Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management.

The Contest, which closed on Tuesday, 22 February 2011, was open to all current and former United Nations staff members at duty stations worldwide.

Launched in 2005 by the English Translation Service of the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management, the St. Jerome Contest was initially limited to the translation of a passage from Spanish or French into English. However, the last two editions of the Contest have included translations into all the official languages of the United Nations and, in addition, German. The test piece for contestants translating into English was a Spanish text entitled Haciéndose lenguas. The test piece for contestants translating into Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish or German was an English text entitled The starry universe.

A total of 94 entries were received, as follows: Arabic - 17; Chinese - 14; English - 19; French - 15; German - 7; Russian - 9; Spanish - 13. The entries were evaluated by a panel of two or three judges for each language. In making their selections, the judges looked for the entries that represented the best efforts in terms of accuracy and style.

The judges for the respective languages were as follows:

Arabic:
Mr. Fathi Abu-Rafia, Senior Reviser (retired)
Ms. Zaha Bustami, Interpreter

Chinese:
Mr. Ta-tsun Chen, Training Officer (retired)
Mr. Bok-kow Tsim, Training Officer (retired)

English:
Ms. Isobel Riddoch-Gharbi, Training Officer (retired)
Ms. Laurie Treuhaft, Senior Reviser

French:
Mr. Jean-Claude Robert, freelance Senior Reviser
Mr. Eric Warot, Senior Reviser

Russian:
Mr. Vadim Kouznetsov, Senior Reviser
Mr. Alexandre Litvinov, Reviser
Mr. Anatoly Tchadliev, Reviser (retired)

Spanish:
Ms. Cristina Mercader-Steele, Senior Reviser (retired)
Ms. María Nóbrega, Training Officer

German:
Mr. Karl Scharf, Senior Reviser/Officer-in-Charge
Mr. Dirk Wels, Reviser

About the St. Jerome Translation Contest
The St. Jerome Translation Contest has been held every year since 2005 to commemorate International Translation Day, which falls on 30 September. The Day, which is officially recognized by the International Federation of Translators, is the feast of St. Jerome, the patron saint of scholars, librarians and all language professionals, including translators, editors and interpreters.

The winning entries are published in Ex Tempore, a literary journal published annually by the United Nations Society of Writers in Geneva. Ex Tempore features creative writing by United Nations staff, including essays, short stories, poetry, drama and translations.
本帖最后由 bing 于 2011-12-6 23:27 编辑

http://iseek.un.org/LibraryDocum ... 011012333675395.pdf

Prize recipients, 2010 St. Jerome Translation Contest
ARABIC:
Honourable mention:
Ms. Nahla Baydoun, Translator, Arabic Translation Service, New York
Ms. Sawsan Taraif, Reviser, Arabic Translation Section, Geneva
Mr. Mohamed Ougammadan, Reviser, Arabic Translation Section, Vienna
Winner:
Mr. Elrayah Abdelgadir, Arabic Verbatim Reporter, Verbatim Reporting Section, New
York
CHINESE:
Honourable mention:
Ms. Nailing Xia, UN-Women, New York
Mr. An Zhu, Translator, Chinese Translation Service, New York
ENGLISH:
Honourable mention:
Ms. Petronella Cox, Senior Interpreter, United Nations Office at Nairobi
Ms. Ann Kaiser, English Verbatim Reporter, Verbatim Reporting Section, New York
Mr. Manuel Losada-Rodríguez, Senior Reviser, Spanish Translation Service, New York
Runner-up:
Mr. Steven Gleason, Editor, Editorial Control Section, New York
Winner:
Ms. Kathryn Pulver, Editor, Editorial Control Section, New York
FRENCH:
Runner-up:
Anonymous entry submitted under the pseudonym Robert Fonquergne
Winner:
Ms. Florence Helluy-Tignol, Translator, ECA, Addis Ababa
RUSSIAN:
Runner-up:
Mr. Yuri Kucherov, Reviser, Russian Section, Verbatim Reporting Service
Winner:
Ms. Anastasia Kozhina, Translator, Russian Translation Service, New York
SPANISH:
Runner-up:
Ms. Karen Haase, Language Reference Assistant, ECLAC, Santiago
Winner:
Mr. Martín Villanueva, Legal Assistant (retired), Codification Division, Office of Legal
Affairs
GERMAN:
Honourable mention:
Mr. David Hartstone, Humanitarian Affairs Officer, Central Emergency Response
Fund, Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Arabic

Chinese Contest
Honourable mention
An Zhu
星光灿烂的宇宙
银河从天际拱起苍穹,宛若一道纯洁无尽的巨大光环。古往今来,它
那明如珍珠的清辉和看似无穷的辽远,令人敬畏,引人遐想。不过,银河
的真实面貌,直到最近才逐渐被认识:那是一条由恒星、星场、星团和星
云组成的浩瀚天河,构成了我们太阳系运转于其间之星系的可见部分。
我们周围的宇宙似乎正向四面八方扩展。当一个天文学家在空间中举
目远望,他实际上是在时间中回眸反观。穿越二十亿地球年时间,将久远
的漫游之光映入我们眼帘的那些黯淡远方星系,其实并不存在于我们现在
看到它们的地方。我们赖以辨识它们形象的光线在开始其漫长旅程之时,
地球上的生命才刚刚在原始的海洋中萌动。在这光线抵达我们之际,那些
星系已朝着更远的方向又运行了十三又三分之一亿光年。于是,在对宇宙
的任何构想中,空间和时间已变得不可分割,而宇宙学家们现在谈论的是
一个时空连续体。从这个意义上说,宇宙有四维;第四维就是时间。
疾速远去的星系和不断膨胀的太空,这变幻万千的一切实在难以想
象。随着相对论的发展和原子科学的快速进步,现已清楚质量和能量是同
一事物。而同样,在广袤、隐秘的深远宇宙中,空间和时间也变得无法区
分。一方面是玄妙的基本粒子宇宙,另一方面是无限的空间时间宇宙:人
类囿于自身感官的局限,只能在这两方面都模糊了其终极视野的一片朦胧
中摸索前行。

Chinese Contest
Honourable mention
Nailing Xia
繁星点点遍宇宙
银河犹如一个纯洁无瑕、看不到尽头的大光环,缠绕着天穹的两端。自古以来,
它那珍珠般的光芒和看似无法估量的距离激发了人类的敬畏和想象。但直到近代,银
河的本来面目才为人类所认知:它是一个由恒星、星空、星团和星云构成的巨大星
河,而这些物体共同构成了我们太阳系运行于其中的那个星系中可被观测到的那部
分。
宇宙似乎以我们为中心向四面八方扩张。当天文学家从空间上向外看的时候,他
也从时间上回望过去。那些暗淡而又遥远的星系实际上并不存在于我们现在看到它们
所在的地方––它们在远古时代所释放的光芒用了地球上20 亿年的时间才进入我们的视
线。这些我们赖以辨认星系形状的光线,在地球上的生命尚在原始海洋中萌芽时就开
始了其漫长的旅程。当它们最终到达我们这里时,它们又已穿越了大约13 亿光年的距
离。正因为如此,在关于宇宙的任何构想中,空间和时间都是不可分割的概念,宇宙
学家称之为时空连续体。从这个意义上说,宇宙是四维的,其第四维就是时间。
向外扩张的星系和不断膨胀的太空所构成的千变万化的景象令人浮想连翩。随着
相对论的发展和原子科学的迅速进步,人类清楚地认识到,质量和能量是同一事物。
与此相似,空间和时间在浩瀚神秘的外太空里也变得不可区分。而囿于感知的局限,
人类只能在微弱的光芒中摸索,唯那微光模糊了人类在神秘莫测的基本粒子以及无限
的空间和时间这两大领域的终极视野。
本帖最后由 bing 于 2011-12-6 23:14 编辑

http://iseek.un.org/webpgdept2075_12.asp

To celebrate International Translation Day, which falls on 30 September, the Translation Services of the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM) launched the 2011 St. Jerome Translation Contest in early October.

The deadline for the submission of entries has been extended to Friday, 30 December 2011.

The Contest is open to all current and former United Nations staff members, irrespective of occupational group, contractual status or duty station.

The test piece for contestants translating into English is a French text entitled “Livres, eLivres et autres considérations.”

The test piece for contestants translating into Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish or German is an English text entitled “Marvel and persistence.”

Participants should paste the text of their entry into an e-mail (rather than sending it as an attachment), indicating their name, functional title and duty station. (Participants who are on short-term contracts are asked to use a personal e-mail address so that they can be contacted later.) Entries should be submitted to the organizers listed below for each language.

Arabic - Mr. Moncef Majbri (majbri@un.org)
Chinese - Mr. Chen Zhongliang (chenz@un.org)
English - Ms. Ann Getzinger (getzinger@un.org)
French - Ms. Anne Fassotte (fassotte@un.org)
Russian - Mr. Alexandre Toubolets (toubolets@un.org)
Spanish - Mr. José María Perazzo (perazzo@un.org)
German - Mr. Frank Schramm (schramm@un.org)

The entries will be evaluated by a panel of two judges for each language. Judges will pay particular attention to accuracy in conveying the meaning of the source text and to style. As in previous years, each submission will be identified by a number and not by the name of the contestant in order to ensure anonymity in the selection process. The winners’ names will not be disclosed until the official announcement at the awards ceremony to be held at UN Headquarters in February 2012. The exact date and venue will be announced later.

Launched in 2005 by the English Translation Service at Headquarters, the Contest has been held each year to commemorate International Translation Day, which is officially recognized by the International Federation of Translators. This day (30 September) is the festival of St. Jerome, the patron saint of translators, scholars, editors, interpreters and librarians.

Marvel and persistence

Again and again, I’m struck by the persistence of objects. I go out to do the chores
wearing a blue plaid wool coat. I have no idea how old it is, because it’s a hand-medown,
and yet every day it’s waiting on the hook. I feed the horses and reflect that the
oldest is at least 31, still sultanic in his majesty. The sun comes up, and here we all
are every day— animate and inanimate — persisting together.
There’s nothing very surprising about it, and yet, I can’t help but keep marveling at
it. The farm and everything in it seem wonderfully solid, and it all reports for duty,
unbidden, every day. This is just a way of countering the other feeling I commonly
have — that we’ve all been loaded aboard a planet streaking through time.
Perhaps it’s the time of year. A rabbit has been eating the bark on the lower branches
of the apple trees, which reminds me that now is pruning time. The snowpack is
steadily deflating. Change is about to break out abruptly, persuasively.
The house I live in was built in the 1830s, and in the library there are a couple of
quarto poems by John Dryden published in the late 17th century — the oldest objects
on this farm that aren’t rocks, earth or trees.
So I wake up and pretend that I’m as perdurable as that ancient sugar maple or the
words of Dryden. The sunlight feels new and ancient, both. I put on my chore coat
and go out to the chicken house my dad and I built after 9/11. The birds flutter to
their nests in a second chicken house. When I go out later, there will be something
new and fresh, nine or 10 eggs still warm from the hens that laid them.
By Verlyn Klinkenborg
Published in The New York Times, 12 March 2011
http://iseek.un.org/webpgdept2104_40.asp

The winners of the 2011 St. Jerome Translation Contest will be announced at an awards ceremony to be held in New York on Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 1 p.m. in the North Lawn Building, room 7.  The prizes will be presented by Mr. Shaaban M. Shaaban, Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management.

The Contest, which closed on Friday, 30 December 2011, was open to all current and former United Nations staff members at duty stations worldwide.

Launched in 2005, the St. Jerome Contest was initially limited to the translation of a passage from Spanish or French into English.  However, the last three editions of the Contest have included translations into all the official languages of the United Nations and, in addition, German.  The test piece for contestants translating into English was a French text entitled Livres, eLivres et autres considérations.  The test piece for contestants translating into Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish or German was an English text entitled Marvel and persistence.

A total of 121 entries were received, as follows: Arabic - 16; Chinese - 10; English - 45; French - 19; German - 5; Russian - 11; Spanish - 15.  The entries were evaluated by a panel of two or three judges for each language.

The judges for the respective languages were as follows:

Arabic:

Mr. Fathi Abu-Rafia, Senior Reviser (retired)

Mr. Ali Atut, Senior Interpreter (retired)

Mr. Sayed El-Ghobashy, Senior Reviser (retired)

Chinese:

Ms. Lee Ching-man, Senior Reviser (retired)

Mr. Tsim Bok-kow, Training Officer (retired)

English:

Ms. Mary Ellen Lavin, Senior Reviser

Ms. Adrienne Unwin, Senior Reviser (retired)

French:

Mr. Michel Gainet, former Director of the Documentation Division (retired)

Mr. Jean-Claude Robert, freelance Senior Reviser

Russian:

Mr. Vadim Kouznetsov, Senior Reviser

Mr. Alexandre Litvinov, Reviser

Mr. Anatoly Tchadliev, Reviser (retired)

Spanish:

Ms. María Nóbrega, Chief, Spanish Translation Service

Ms. Irene Prieto Coogan, Reviser (retired)

German:

Ms. Elisabeth Sack-Kastl, Translator

Ms. Monika Torrey, former Chief, German Translation Section (retired)

Launched in 2005 by the English Translation Service at Headquarters, the Contest has been held each year to commemorate International Translation Day, which is officially recognized by the International Federation of Translators. This day (30 September) is the festival of St. Jerome, the patron saint of translators, scholars, editors, interpreters and librarians.
Department for General Assembly and Conference Management
English test piece – 2011 St. Jerome translation contest page 1 of 1 Translation Service/5 October 2011
Marvel and persistence
Again and again, I’m struck by the persistence of objects. I go out to do the chores
wearing a blue plaid wool coat. I have no idea how old it is, because it’s a hand-medown,
and yet every day it’s waiting on the hook. I feed the horses and reflect that the
oldest is at least 31, still sultanic in his majesty. The sun comes up, and here we all
are every day— animate and inanimate — persisting together.
There’s nothing very surprising about it, and yet, I can’t help but keep marveling at
it. The farm and everything in it seem wonderfully solid, and it all reports for duty,
unbidden, every day. This is just a way of countering the other feeling I commonly
have — that we’ve all been loaded aboard a planet streaking through time.
Perhaps it’s the time of year. A rabbit has been eating the bark on the lower branches
of the apple trees, which reminds me that now is pruning time. The snowpack is
steadily deflating. Change is about to break out abruptly, persuasively.
The house I live in was built in the 1830s, and in the library there are a couple of
quarto poems by John Dryden published in the late 17th century — the oldest objects
on this farm that aren’t rocks, earth or trees.
So I wake up and pretend that I’m as perdurable as that ancient sugar maple or the
words of Dryden. The sunlight feels new and ancient, both. I put on my chore coat
and go out to the chicken house my dad and I built after 9/11. The birds flutter to
their nests in a second chicken house. When I go out later, there will be something
new and fresh, nine or 10 eggs still warm from the hens that laid them.
By Verlyn Klinkenborg
Published in The New York Times, 12 March 2011
本帖最后由 bing 于 2012-2-25 00:07 编辑

陈达遵先生的译作

惊奇与持续       

各种物体的持续存在一再使我感到惊讶。我总是穿着一件蓝色采格的羊毛外套出门干活。这件外套是别人传下给我的,所以我不知道它有多旧,但它每天都挂在钩上等候。我给马喂料,想起最老的一匹马至少已经31岁,仍然显着王者雄风。太阳总会升起,而世间万物,不论有无生命,每天都相伴相随,持续存在。这种情况没有任何令人十分讶异之处,然而,我却禁不住一直对它感到惊奇。农庄和其中的一切似乎都出奇地坚固结实,每天不用别人吩咐,都会各司其事。这个情况抵触着我平常具有的另一种感觉——觉得我们世间万物都被装载于一个穿越时间不断奔驰的行星之上。
也许季节到了。一只兔子不断啃食苹果树低枝的树皮,这提醒我说,现在是剪枝的时候了。积雪逐渐消融。不久就会突然、显著地出现变化。
    我住的屋子建于1830年代,书房里有17世纪末期出版的两册四开本的约翰•德莱顿诗集——这是农庄里除了石头、泥土和树木之外最古老的东西。所以我醒过来,总是自称同那棵古老的糖槭树或德莱顿的诗句一样持久不衰。阳光给人亦今亦古的感觉。我穿上干活的外套,出门走到父亲和我在9月11日事件之后合力盖建的鸡舍。鸡群飞奔到另一个鸡舍里的窝。等会儿我再去,那里会有一些新鲜事物,会有母鸡刚生下来仍然带着余温的9个10个鸡蛋。

原载于2011年3月12日《纽约时报》
本帖最后由 bing 于 2012-10-20 03:35 编辑

http://iseek.un.org/webpgdept2104_60.asp

And the St. Jerome winners are…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: Friday, 24 February 2012, New York | Author: Department for General Assembly and Conference Management
[attach]11054[/attach]
(L to R):  Mr. Shaaban M. Shaaban, Under-Secretary General, DGACM, Mr. Alex Taukatch, Director, News and Content, DPI, and Mr. Alassane Diatta, acting Director, Documentation Division, DGACM at the St. Jerome translation contest award ceremony.  

Photo credit:  UN Photo/JC McIlwaine

"Again and again, I'm struck by the persistence of objects." So begins the article "Marvel and persistence" by American author Verlyn Klinkenborg, known to readers of The New York Times for his evocative, well-crafted pieces in the series "The Rural Life". The article was used as a test piece for the seventh edition of the St. Jerome Translation Contest. This piece, in which details of the author's everyday routine prompt musings on the larger mysteries of life, was translated by Contest participants into Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish and German. For participants translating into English, the test piece was a meditation on one of the marvels of modern technology, "Livres, eLivres et autres considérations", posted on the blog "Grange Blanche" by Jean-Marie Vailloud.

The winners of the 2011 St. Jerome Translation Contest were announced at a ceremony on Tuesday, 21 February 2012, where a total of 17 prizes - 6 winners, 9 runners-up and 2 honourable mentions - were awarded. Contest entries were received from current and former UN staff members in a broad range of language and non-language fields working at offices in Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Geneva, Nairobi, New York, The Hague, Rome and Vienna, as well as peace missions in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and East Timor.

The ceremony was hosted by Mr. Shaaban M. Shaaban, Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management, who noted that the Contest had drawn attention to "the vital services we provide to Member States as we deliver on the General Assembly's mandate concerning multilingualism". In addition, Mr. Alex Taukatch, Deputy Director for News and Content in the Department of Public Information, remarked that the ceremony was taking place on International Mother Language Day and that translation would become ever more important in the future.

Prize recipients, 2011 St. Jerome Translation Contest
ARABIC:
Second runner-up:
Mr. Mohamed Chaynane, Reviser, Arabic Translation Service, New York
First runner-up:
Mr. Kaiss Jarkass, Translator, Arabic Translation Service, New York
Winner:
Mr. Elrayah Abdelgadir, Arabic Verbatim Reporter, Verbatim Reporting Section, New York
CHINESE:
Honourable mention:
Mr. Wenxin Huang, Translator, Chinese Translation Section, Geneva
ENGLISH:
Honourable mention:
Ms. Heather Jarvis, Editor, Official Records Editing Section, New York
Second runner-up:
Mr. Steven Gleason, Editor, Editorial Control Section, New York
First runner-up:
Ms. Petronella Cox, Senior Interpreter, United Nations Office at Nairobi
Winner:
Ms. Kathryn Pulver, Reviser, English Section, Verbatim Reporting Service
FRENCH:
Second runner-up:
Emmanuelle Collet, Programme Analyst, UN-Women, New York
First runner-up:
Tiziana Monacelli, freelance Reviser
Winner:
Anonymous entry submitted under the pseudonym Robert Fonquergne
RUSSIAN:
Runner-up:
Mr. Yuri Kucherov, Reviser, Russian Section, Verbatim Reporting Service
Winner:
Ms. Olga Kazanli, Reviser, Russian Section, Verbatim Reporting Service
SPANISH:
Runner-up:
Mr. Manuel Losada-Rodríguez, Senior Reviser, Spanish Translation Service, New York
Winner:
Ms. Guillermina Ruiz-Grané, Associate Translator, United Nations Office at Nairobi
GERMAN:
Runner-up:
Ms. Ingrid Kasper, Public Information Officer, News and Media Division, Department of Public
Information
Winner:
Mr. Dirk Wels, Reviser, German Translation Section, New York

Chinese Contest
Honourable mention
Wenxin Huang
奇妙与耐久
我总是被事物的耐久性所打动。我穿一件蓝格子呢子外套出去干活。我不
知道这件外套是什么时候添置的,因为那是别人传给我的,且整天闲置在衣钩
上。喂马的时候我在想,最老的那匹至少有31岁了,却依然保持着王者风范。
太阳升起来了,我们日复一日地共同在这里生息存续,不管是有生命的,还是